Dr. Borchert is Senior Professor of New Testament at Carson-Newman University, former Dean of two theological seminaries and Emeritus Professor, former Thesis Director and Trustee of IWS. An expert in the New Testament, his two-day seminar, The Portraits of Jesus: Models for Worship and Mission Renewal, was held January 9-10, 2017 on the campus of IWS. The increase in biblical illiteracy in churches today demands that Christians rediscover the centrality of Jesus in the biblical narrative. Dr. Borchert’s exegetical approach to several New Testament books uncovered portraits of Jesus as clues for developing authentic patterns of life and worship.
Attendees were generous in their response to Jerry’s teaching and the seminar as a whole.
- Dr. Borchert is passionate about God’s word, engaging as a speaker, and a fountain of biblical insight.
- The seminar was a veritable feast. I anticipate cogitating on its contents for months to come.
- The seminar was excellent! Jerry is a venerable speaker. He clearly and candidly expresses his views on the biblical text and shows his ideas through textual support. His presentation is forceful and insistent.
- Dr. Borchert was engaging and a most amazing speaker. His content was wonderful and thought-provoking while also convicting.
- Dr. Borchert is a treasure.
Jerry Borchert wrote this response after the on campus seminar at IWS:
It was a delightful privilege to return and lead the recent seminar at the Robert Webber Institute for Worship Studies. The contextual worship was thoroughly refreshing and the encounter with eager students, alumni and faculty was once again a marvelously enriching experience. The readiness of persons to learn, digest and dialog concerning interrelated theological ideas, particularly as they relate to worship, is a clear sign of an excellent theological environment. The responses and comments of the participants in my seminar were exceedingly heartwarming. The school continues to be a model of what Bob Webber hoped to develop in his dream for an institution focused on a holistic approach to Christian life and worship.
Here is a sample video clip [2:41] from the seminar. Dr. Borchert says, “Worship is part of the process of sanctification.”
Access additional media from the seminar: Audio and video files from the Gerald Borchert Seminar.