The Robert E. Webber Institute for Worship Studies forms servant leaders in Christian worship renewal and education through graduate academic praxis, grounded in biblical, historical, theological, cultural and missiological reflection in community.
IWS graduates will be academically and spiritually formed servant leaders who participate intentionally in the story of the Triune God, fostering renewal in the local and global church by shaping life and ministry according to the fullness of that story.
IWS serves God’s action in history to express his lordship over all creation through worship situated in the Divine Narrative.
- IWS is evangelical in nature and ecumenical in outlook, embracing and serving the whole church in its many expressions and variations of the Christian faith, particularly articulated by the consensus of the ancient Church and its guardians in the traditions of Eastern Orthodoxy, Roman Catholicism, the Protestant Reformation and the Evangelical awakenings and heritage.
- IWS emphasizes God’s story of creation, incarnation and recreation through which God brings the entire cosmos under the reign of Christ, and the rehearsal of that story in Christian worship.
- IWS draws on the classical interpretation of Scripture as contained in the Old and New Testaments, and as affirmed by the Apostles’ Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Council of Chalcedon, together with the affirmation of an evangelical grounding and ecumenical and multicultural outreach.
- IWS offers an ongoing critical appraisal of Christian worship, with an open mind and heart to an authentic faith and practice in the twenty-first century.
- IWS intentionally remains a self-sacrificing, simple school of students involved in an intense spiritual interaction with each other, not unnecessarily encumbered by building ownership, big budgets and a large full-time staff.
- IWS “teaches those who teach,” continuing to raise up leaders around the world whose ministries are grounded in intentional biblical, historical, theological, cultural, and missiological reflection.
- IWS pursues its vision through an educational methodology that combines an on-campus experience of academic learning and spiritual community, distance learning components and up-to-date technology.