End-of-Year FAQ

What is IWS’ fiscal year?
IWS operates on the fiscal year calendar that is typical to higher education: July 1 to June 30. Of course, the tax year for individual donors is the calendar year. In order for your gift to be counted in the current calendar year it must be postmarked by 12/31 (if your gift is mailed) or received by 12/31 (if your gift is made online or delivered). In order for your gift to be counted in our current fiscal year it must be postmarked by 6/30 (if your gift is mailed) or received by 6/30 (if your gift is made online or delivered).

How can I make a gift to the school?
You can make your Annual Fund gift or pledge using your credit card online. You can also mail or drop off a check at the Administrative Office which is open weekdays 9 AM to 5 PM or you can call +1 (904) 264-2172 (toll-free from the U.S. & Canada: (800) 282-2977) Jim Hart for courtesy pick-ups.

What is the process for donating stock?
There are benefits to donating appreciated securities instead of cash. You avoid paying capital gains tax and sales commissions and receive a charitable deduction for the full value. To donate stock to IWS, call or email Jim Hart in the office. If you are considering donating a gift of stock, real estate, or another non-cash asset in the current calendar year, please call early to ensure the transfer is completed by December 31. Due to the nature of electronic transfers, you will need to identify yourself as the donor of the stock by calling Jim Hart at the number listed above.

Can I deduct my pledge?
Although pledges are legally binding, the IRS does not allow you to take a deduction until the year you make a payment towards that pledge. In order to receive a tax deduction in the current tax year, you must make your contribution by December 31.

How do I ensure that my gift will be included in my current year giving?
Outright gifts of cash, credit card, or check must be postmarked by December 31 or hand delivered to the IWS Administrative Office by December 31 to be receipted as a current year donation.

How much have I contributed to IWS in the current tax year?
We mail a thank you letter and receipt immediately upon receiving any size contributions. If you need a replacement receipt please contact the IWS Office.

IWS is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization and all gifts are tax deductible according to law.