D.W.S. Student Chris Antill Has Died

5

Chris Antill Photo
Chris Antill
IWS student Chris Antill died yesterday of congestive heart failure. He was a member of the Alpha 2 class.

There will be a memorial service at First United Methodist Church in Ft. Walton Beach, FL this Saturday, November 16, at 11 AM. The church is located at 103 First St, SE, Fort Walton Beach, FL, 32548. There will also be a visitation beginning at 10:00 prior to the service. Remembrances can be posted on Chris’ Facebook page, where they will be read by his family members.

Chris had been a doctoral student at IWS since June 2011 and was working on his thesis. Chris’ doctoral thesis topic was “Introducing Congregational Psalm Singing in Corporate Worship at First United Methodist Church, Fort Walton Beach, FL. A few months ago, he said

To say that I am a different person theologically, spiritually, and academically than I was two years ago would be an understatement. I was not prepared for what I would learn through IWS course work, the mentorship of my professors, or the reading and research which was required. I was also not prepared for the profound impact that my experience at IWS would have on my life, my theology, or my ministry…IWS has changed everything about who I am, how I worship, how I plan worship, and how I teach worship. The emphasis of the school is on worship renewal, but through the course work I have realized that IWS is renewing worship leaders as well. I am so grateful that I am able to be a part of the IWS community.

Chris’ thesis supervisor, Dr. Chris Alford, e-mailed me today:

Chris was very enthusiastic about this topic and always had a joyful attitude about implementing his work. He talked with passion about helping his congregation experience more of the depths of the Psalms and, especially, what they might learn from the psalms of lament. Chris was a precious fellow and fell upon new ideas or discoveries with great joy.

We will miss Chris deeply. Let us weep with those who weep, and let us join with Chris’ wife Pam, their two sons Andrew and Nicholas, and many family members and friends in releasing and commending Chris to the God of all peace and comfort:

Into you hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Chris.
Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold,
a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming.
Receive him into the arms of your mercy,
into the blessed rest of everlasting peace,
and into the glorious company of the saints in light. Amen.

Archives

Categories